If I woke up tomorrow and found $10,000 on my dresser and found out that all my plans for the next week were canceled I would probably weep with excitement and relief. I am the kind of person that overextends myself to the point where I can’t get anything done which seriously heightens my stress and anxiety levels. If I woke up tomorrow with $10,000 and seven days worth of plans canceled I would make it the most stress and care free week of my life.
I would begin by hiring an assistant, her name would be Andrea, I don’t know why it just seems fitting. Andrea would be in charge of making sure everything went smoothly so I did not have to worry about a thing. Did I mention I am also a huge worrier?
Andrea’s first task would be to make an appointment for a spa day. Manicures, pedicures and massages, you know, the works. Andrea would definitely get to come too, she will have earned it after putting up with me. Andrea would then make arrangements for my boyfriend and I to fly off to New York city for two nights, where we would eat in little Italy, go shopping on 5th ave, go dancing and stay at the Ritz.
I would then do something I have always wanted to do, which is give back to the school that has given me so much. I would donate as much money needed to plant a lustrous garden in a spot on campus I feel like doesn’t get much love. We have this coy pond and green houses behind one of the academic buildings that could be a really nice place to sit near or walk through but it has become really run down and abandoned almost. I would spend a few days planting flowers and cleaning up the area. I could even donate a bench that would have one of those placards on it engraved with my name, that would be pretty cool.
After the garden was finished I would go to a book store and buy lots of books so that I could spend the rest of the week reading, like I said, I never have enough time to read.
“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” – the White Queen, Alice in Wonderland.
Have you ever been daydreaming and you find yourself wishing for things that you know could never happen or won’t happen for a very long time? I am always coming up with some moonstruck desires for my future or for our world that I really just wish would become a reality. Here are my six impossible things:
1. A world where social media did not exist. Imagine it, full on human interaction with stimulating conversation and proper interpersonal skills? What a world that would be. Of course social media has brought us all closer together and changed the face of business forever but it can never beat being in the same room as the person you are interacting with. Who needs to be looking at their screens constantly when you have all these stars?
2. I would love to be able to transport from one place to another in the blink of an eye, kind of like in Harry Potter when they apparate, you know? I often think of this when I am driving because I rather dislike driving long distances. I think this would be an amazing experience that could not only bring different cultures and worlds together but also make us happier people because we would be able to see our loved ones from far away more often. Maybe if this were possible we would have never invented social media. Why haven’t we figured this out yet?
3. Fairies. Yes actual fairies like in the movie FairyTale. I used to have dreams about fairies when I was a little girl. They would be dancing around my room and singing to me. I don’t know if I should think that it was magical or borderline crazy but either way I love the idea of fairies. I also would make little fairy homes on the beach hoping I would come back to find them there. I was a very optimistic little girl.
4. A world where stress did not exist. We all know that stress is constantly simmering beneath our calm facades and that our world is ridden with depression and anxiety because of it. Let’s just eliminate stress all together so we can all live happily ever after (just like Denmark).
5. A world where I could eat dozens and dozens of macarons because all dessert would have no calories. Need I say more?
6. A closet the size of a small bedroom (like these) overflowing with diamonds, pearls, classy shift dresses, bright & colorful clothing, well made shoes and matching pajama sets. OK maybe this one isn’t completely impossible…
What would be on your list of impossible things?
The work is piling on more and more as the end of the year grows closer. The fear of not graduating because I can not get my work done and the fear of missing out and moving on are ever present throughout my days here.
I just have to keep reminding myself to breath and focus on the little things that I love about my university. This article from the NY Times talks about how we can decrease “brain fatigue” by just going for a walk in the park. It says that right about now I should be taking a break from work and going for a walk so I guess I should enjoy my beautiful campus while I can and the work can wait…right?
Something I really wish I was able to focus on more right now is my job search but specifically my portfolio. Of course I have been creating my portfolio consistently throughout my years at school but I have not had the time in the past months to compile it all into one place. I have been given a lot of great opportunities here and would really like to showcase it. I just discovered WordPress Porfolio and I think that this along with a hard copy of my portfolio would be great. It would be able to highlight all of the things that the hard copy couldn’t and more.
So as the job search chugs along (slowly that is) I find myself looking for companies that are strongly geared toward social responsibility as well as companies that carry an authentic reputation. I came across an article about H&M on Refinery29’s page the other day and was really impressed. H&M is now one of the first companies to release the names and locations of all of its factories in its move towards even greater transparency and openness. Now that is what I would classify as an authentic company.
Refinery29 also caught my eye for another reason: the legging handbook (as I like to call it). They have gathered five different legging looks that aren’t your average baggy shirt and tights combo and it gets better…The five girls showcased give the low down on their top do’s and don’ts of leggings, I think every female should take a look, study it even. Some of these looks may even be office appropriate…sign me up!
It’s definitely a tie for which one is my favorite:
Which look do you prefer? Are leggings work appropriate (if done well)?
P.S. Doesn’t this look delicious and who doesn’t love a sweet Sunday read?